SummaryYour French-speaking guide will meet with an English translator, at his welcome hut in Poindimié. Be taken to a tribal village (to be determined based on availability), where you will first be introduced to "do the custom." The customary gesture based on Melanesian culture is a mark of consolidated attention, which is fulfilled in the greatest simplicity, to an authority of the tribe the Small Chief or Big Chief.To establish a special relationship with those who will welcome you to their home and to show your respect for their culture and their traditions, you will be invited to offer a gift* (not included). Beyond the object, it is the thought that counts, and the exchange of words that follow.The traditional Melanesian hut or case:
You will then follow your guide to discover a Melanesian hut, and he gives you some information about its construction and its symbolic to the Melanesian culture. The lifestyle in the tribe, traditional customs and the function of the chiefdom will be also mentioned.Bond with Nature:
Your guide will take you to visit a sacred yam field and you will discover the local flora and medicinal plants. You will also be introduced to grate coconut and launch a fishing net! A seasonal fruit basket will be offered to you at the end of the visit.The Bougna (option only available in the morning):You can immerse yourself deeper into the tribal culture by participating in the preparation and tasting of the bougna, a traditional Melanesian dish. Which is an assortment of local vegetables and meat or fish, sprinkled with fresh coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaves and gently stewed, underground with hot stones.The return to welcome hut in Poindmié around 12.30pm. or 5:30pm for the afternoon tour.*The gift for the custom, cloth, tobacco, packet of rice, packet of sugar) is included in the visit and will be provided to the participants on the day of the visit. If they want, they are able to bring their own presents also, a souvenir of the country, food or other natural resource.
- A French speaking guide with translation in English
- Items required for a custume exchange *gift to purchase or bring separately
- Visit a Melanesian hut and yam field
- Gain respect and awareness to the Melanesian culture and custom
- Introduction grating coconut and fishing net casting, grate and net provided
- A seasonal fruit basket
- The transfers between the hotel and the tribe
- The preparation and tasting of the bougna (only by reservation in advance)
- Handmade woven hat and fresh coconut water extra charge
- Tour commences at 9:00am or 2:00pm daily
- This excursion is a grouping activity, other guests can participate
- The minimum age for participation is 2 years old
- In the case of bad weather, the service provider reserves the right to cancel or postpone the excursion.
- We advise our clients to sleep on Poindimié the day before the tour
- This tour requires no minimum of person
- A maximum of 10 people is allowed.
Contact a New Caledonia Specialist
Meet Your New Caledonia Travel Specialist...
(We're real people that want to help you)